Failure to launch, folks. My follicles were EXACTLY THE SAME as they were at my last ultrasound on Tuesday. To recap, that’s 2 at 10mm and 1 at 11mm on my left, and 1 more at 10mm on my right. That means that, after taking 50mg of Clomid days 4-8, my follicles have had zero growth between CD 11 and CD 14. That can’t be normal.
I would really just like someone to explain this to me. I called the nurse back after she left a message with the results (I was with patients all day until about 4) to get some answers, but haven’t gotten a call back yet. So, here’s the deal: I know that I have PCOS and that I often ovulate late (like, after CD 18 but before CD 40). It stands to reason that my follicles would take their time even with Clomid. I did (maybe incorrectly) assume, however, that things were supposed to go a little faster with Clomid? I mean, I was really worried about ovulating too early. That is certainly not happening here, folks. I also assumed that, even if I ovulated late, I would see some growth in a period of 3 days.
So here’s where I sit now:
- I have another ultrasound scheduled for Tuesday morning. The nurse wanted me to schedule for Monday but they were apparently totally booked solid on Monday so couldn’t even offer me a shitty time, let alone an appropriate-for-my-work-schedule time. So I grabbed a Tuesday morning slot and am waiting to hear whether they think it is so important that I go in on Monday that I have to travel to some other site for a totally-inappropriate-for-my-work-schedule appointment. We’ll see. I’m hell bent against canceling patients off of my schedule (who were scheduled up to 6 months ago and plan to come for a 2 hour eval) just to go to a 15-minute ultrasound, so they better find me something close to do-able. UPDATE: Just got off the phone with my nurse. She double booked me for a 7:30am appointment on Monday morning, because she said “a lot can happen quickly” and she doesn’t want to wait until Tuesday. I’ll probably have to sit and wait (and will probably throw off their u/s schedule for the whole morning) but at least I’ll get in.
- I called the cryobank to see if I could just postpone my tank pick-up. It was scheduled for this afternoon at 4pm. I figured that if I called in the morning (before they even prepare the tank), there shouldn’t be much of a problem just moving my name on the schedule from 4pm today to 4pm on Monday or something. I did, after all, already pay my $55 to pick up and rent the tank. It was naive of me to think that (duh). They said I would have to pay … wait for it … an $110 same-day change/cancellation fee. That is twice as much as I already paid for the tank! Just to move my name over! Given that the fee to swap tanks (which would be necessary after the 5-day guarantee window … so on Wednesday) is only $30, we just went forward with the plan for our friend to do the pick up. We’ll almost definitely have to do the tank swap, but even if we have to do 3 tank swaps (aka buy ourselves an extra 15 days), we are still paying less than if they had moved it to Monday. Riddle me that one, folks.
- We have now had 3 ultrasounds this cycle. At somewhere around $150 per (15-minute) ultrasound, that puts us out $450 so far this month. With at least one more and maybe two or three (??), we’re looking at $600 or $750 just on ultrasound monitoring this cycle. Luckily all of the meds (Clomid, Ovidrel shot, Crinone suppositories) went through insurance, so we paid about $70 in co-pays for those ($10 for Clomid, $30 each for the others). The sperm ran us about $800, plus at least $85 for the tank and 1 swap fee. Plus the actual IUI … so this cycle is going to cost us in the range of $1,755 – $2,000.
I have to say, I was not expecting this outcome today. I was definitely feeling really down and anxious on my drive from the ultrasound to work this morning. At this point, I at least know that my nurse didn’t mention canceling the cycle and didn’t seem at all worried … so I guess it just means more ultrasounds ($$$) and waiting. And I can do that. I can pay for ultrasounds (to a certain extent) and I can wait (impatiently). So we’ll keep on keeping on and hope we get some movement at the next ultrasound on Monday/Tuesday/sometime.
Anyone have any experience with no follicle growth after taking Clomid?
1 more UPDATE: I spoke to nurse Tracy on the phone and she seemed really not worried. She said I have follicles (so I guess no follicles at all would be more worrisome?) and sometimes despite the drugs, your body just wants to do things on its own time. Since I ovulate late usually (and totally erratically), she expects that to be the case now as well. I guess we’ll see how things progress. I am, at the very least, glad to be doing the (albeit expensive) ultrasound monitoring so I can see what’s going on in there and feel relatively confident as to what’s happening and whether or not I’ll ovulate, etc.